SERIES: The Book of Acts
TEXT: Acts 14:21-28
MESSAGE: Evidences of Discipleship
1. _____ _________ ___ ______ are committed to preaching the gospel AND strengthening believers with encouragement (v. 21-22).
2. ________________ is a mark of a true Christian (v. 22) .
“In fact, all who want to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted.” – 2 Timothy 3:12
- Romans 8:17— “And if children, then heirs—heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together.”
- Philippians 3:10-11— “That I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.”
- Colossians 1:24— “I now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up in my flesh what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ, for the sake of His body, which is the church.”
3a. _______ _______ polity (structure) calls for a plurality of Elders / Pastors (v. 23).
“In the early days of Acts when the Jerusalem church was the only church, the leaders were the apostles (Acts 4-6). As the Apostles’ work outside Jerusalem increased, there arose within the Jerusalem church a group of elders that was distinct from the apostles.”
3b. ________ _________ are responsible for appointing healthy, qualified elders through prayer (v. 23).
“The Bible is the ultimate authority and infallible, not the pastor and not the elders. And it doesn’t mean that you believe everything he says without examining it.” – John Piper
3c. ___________ ___ ________ should proclaim the grace of God and the work that God does through us (v. 27).
Sending Church & Church Plants
Evidences of Biblical Discipleship
1.) _esilience (Acts 14: 1-20)
2.) _ndurance (Acts 13)
3.) _reaching the gospel (Acts 14:21)
4.) _ncouraging fellow believers through trials and persecution (Acts 14:22)
5.) _ppointing healthy, qualified elders (Acts 14:23)
6.) _estimonies about the grace of God at work (Acts 14:27)